• Register
Ajgaon - St. Francis Xavier Church
PDF
Print
E-mail

(02363)264925Ajgaon - St Francis Xavier Church

Ajgaon
Tal. Sawantwadi
Dist. Sindhudurg 416 538

Estd: 1914
Catholics: 1,355
Families: 270

Short History: The Catholics residing at Ajgaon have migrated from Goa about 125-150 years ago. Most of these people came in search of jobs and wanting to be free from Portuguese slavery. While migrating they brought along with them their religion, their rich culture and the Konkani language. The village of Ajgaon, along with other Parishes in Sindhudurg district, came under the Patriarch of Goa. Priests from Goa would attend to the pastoral needs of these people. In 1862 a small chapel was built and named after St. Francis Xavier. The foundation stone of the Church was laid on 25th December, 1912. The Church and parochial house were completed in 1916. On October 23, 1914 Ajgaon Church was bifurcated from Milagris parish, Sawantwadi.

Clergy: Fr. Andrew D'Mello (P.P.): 9422373279


Religious:

Sisters of St. Ann of Providence: (02363)264995

Institution:
St. Francis Xavier English Medium School: (02363)264864

Associations:
Pastoral Council, Liturgy Committee, Legion of Mary, Altar Servers, Youth Group.

Publications: ‘Govai’ (Parish Bulletin)

Chapels:

  • St. Peter Chapel—Aravali
  • St. Sebastian Chapel—Noichead
  • Our Lady of Immaculate Conception —Redi
 

Contact Information

Bishop’s House
Kankavli 416602
Dist Sindhudurg, Maharashtra, India
Phone: +91 (02367) 233475/ 232061/ 232661
see more information...

 

Facebook.com: Sindhudurg Diocese

Forth Coming Event in the Diocese

28th Oct - 30th Oct

Retreat for 8th, 9th and 10th Std. students in Navsarni Kendra

1st Nov

All Saints Day

View all Forth Coming Events in detail...